It is a huge amount of time and a lot many things can be done during this time. Even if you start from basics now, you can be a topper in exam. I would like you to first want you to get answers of following questions, because you will prepare and will get selected but you have to be clear in your mind that the preparation is worth it.
- Why do you want to be an IITian?- fame, job, research, money or parents(in my case it was my parents- still it was worth it)
- Is your motivation good enough to study for 4–5 hours daily for a exam which is 1.5 years from now?
If you get both the answers then you are ready to prepare for IIT.
IIT JEE exam requires following skillsets:-
Concepts, problem solving ability, knowledge of subject and no doubt intelligence. You should also know the fact that hard work and perseverance is also important as other intelligent students are also working their ass off to clear IIT JEE, so no matter how intelligent you are, to compete with other you need to do hard work. Do not compare yourself with students around as your competition is with all students of nation, so it is better to improve yourself then comparing yourself with others.
So for the coming next year you have to work on these skillsets. About preparation:
1.You should start by listing the syllabus of IIT.
2.Get IIT papers from the past 10–15 years of both AIEEE and IIT JEE. Analyze them properly and list a tentative weightage of each chapter. Also see the toughness level, language framing, numerical or concept based questions. After you are done with this make a list of topics based on their importance.
3. Get a mentor, guide or teacher who has good experience in teaching or who has cleared IIT with good rank.
4. Apply for a good test series and you can follow the course covered by test series in your regular schedule. Also arrange comple study material, notes, video lectures, question banks, tests, ncerts and other important books.
5. You can divide your preparation into multiple phases. Like if you followup any standard test series they cover very less important topics in 11th standard as people are not able to retain them for two years and it is the same thing which coaching institutes d0. So I would suggest you to do the same thing and cover less important topics.
6 Work upon your problem solving ability, retention ability and concepts. You have to mainly focus on numerical solving ability on top in 11th standard. This ability has various features, approach building, speed, efficiency, calculations and last but not the least various methods to solve the questions. You should not stick yourself to a approach, but you have to be versatile.
7. Religiously give papers on weekend and analyze your performance, negatives, mistakes, approach mistake, calculation mistake, speed, attempt, efficiency and try to optimize your performance.
If you retain all the 11th standard topics and you have build a approach, nobody can stop you from getting a good rank in IIT as 12th standard will go smooth.
For more tips you can follow our b. Best of luck!!